Leaving the UK was predictably difficult, but I am so glad to be here! Maybe it is possible to adapt to any culture, but I think this one is a better fit. I think I will fit into it pretty quickly. In just a few days I have learned enough to get around by taxi alone, where the best local food is found and where to get good quality pirated DVDs. In the past few days I have found more American food than I ever saw in the UK, yelled at a taxi driver for trying to rip me off, and accidently and awkwardly made eye-contact with a lot of Arab men.
At Popeye’s (PTL!) I accidently made eye-contact with a man and then he tried to talk to me. Eye-contact is like hard-core flirting here. Of course I had no idea what he was saying so I stared at my chicken and hoped he would go away. Well he did, but then he came back and sat at a table next to me and kept chatting away. Finally my friend came back from getting her food and he shut up. Awkward! I think that has been one of the most challenging things so far. I tend to make a lot of eye-contact with people, but I will surely get over that quickly.
So this morning I decided to “read” the paper. Maybe 2% of it was in English, but what I found was pretty amazing. Check out the swimsuit ads!
That's veilkini.com in case that didn't make it in the photo. You're welcome.
Hello, Goodbye...
- 27.6.09
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




1 comments:
How I wish I was there...buying a swim suit that covers my entire body would be totally acceptable ( a drem come true).
Have fun, I am glad that you are having such a wonderful time doing what God has lead you to do!!
Post a Comment